Bike and Pedestrian Plan Google Class
Our Google Class host, 16 year old Danielle Sipp mirroring the iconic portrait of Senator Shirley Chisholm. This was taken when she went to Washington DC to discuss environmental policy with members of Congress.
Meet Our Google Class Host! Check Out Some of the Final Projects from the Class!
Danielle Sipp is a 16 year old 1. HAST student Adriana Chaidea-Alverez's Re-Design of
high school student living in Gary, Indiana. an ideal block (including shared mobility and
Learn more about her here. infrastructure upgrades.)
2. Indiana University Cultural Journalism G400 students' group project (including complete streets and pedways.)
Due to Covid-19, all of Gary’s public schools and most of its charter and private schools were holding classes remotely. This offered an unusual opportunity to engage area youth virtually, as they had access to digital and the internet. Our team created a Google Class to teach young leaders about the planning process, asked them to contribute ideas and ultimately re-design a block within Gary Indiana. All schools, and organizations located in Gary, or that serve children from Gary, were invited to participate, as well as any residents interested. 243 educators, elected officials and local leaders were contacted directly (via email, or phone), to be invited to have the youth they influence, participate in the course.
• 131 were elementary schoolers and, doing hybrid learning (some were in-person and others were virtual). Five were from multiple schools and part of City Life Center's Remote/ After School Program and 126 were from Charter School of the Dunes.
• 3 were from HAST are high schoolers
• 9 were from Steel City Academy are high schoolers
• 30 were from GCSC are a mix of middle and high schoolers
• 6 were College students from IUN
• 8 were from the homeschool community
Take a virtual tour of our Google Class to get an idea of what the participants experienced.
*Check out our class tour here
*You will need a gmail account to join
*Watch a 1 min easy gmail tutorial here
*Learn more about our Class Host, Danielle Sipp here
*Download a printable gmail tutorial here
*Please send all tech questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
All students that finished the Google Class
received a signed certificate from the mayor and director of Redevelopment, as well as a gift certificate from our community partner, McDonald's.
Our outreach team gave virtual, in-person and hybrid workshops across all 6 districts of Gary to help get our city's young leaders involved in the planning process.